Friday, February 7, 2014

Movies and my Childhood

After my Mt. Pulag climb last Chinese New Year, I made a mental note not to write about it until I've found the rights words.....exactly the right words of how I've felt. I'm try to stay away from my usual climb blog so as not to bore my non-hiker friends from reading this blogspot.

Let's try writing something close to me and you, of course -- MOVIES!
I'm a great fan of movies be it drama, comedy, sci-fi, action, cartoon, romance and horror. Well, who hasn't? Some people are drawn to movies inspired by true events, and mostly, I don't.

When I was about 3 years old, I remember watching "Panday" for the first time with my dad. It was a fad back then to watch a re-run because it's much cheaper especially when it's years after it was first shown. It was also my first time to ever watch a movie on a very huge screen. Everything seemed bigger and grand back then. Even the white lady that chased the young kid looked scarier. To cut the story short, I did not finished the movie as I was so scared that I opted to sleep.

It was in Grade 5 when we did our first "major" project. Our class adviser consulted the entire class to come up with a benefit project for our school library. Without batting an eyelash, we decided to do a film showing. The movie - The Land Before Time (sigh!  brings back good ol' memories!) The film showing was a success! Everyone was commended by our class adviser for a job well done. What's best about it...we get to watch the film for free! Mind you, it did brought me to tears. I can still remember.....still smell the fresh paint...the china had never been used.....the sheets had never been....(huh?! forgive me....t'was a different movie.) Seriously though, whenever I hear "If we hold on together" by Diana Ross, I just can't help but remember that cartoon movie.

Who amongst you remember "Biokids" back in the 90's? Well, I can't remember the exact story but I remember going to church and completing the "Simbang Gabi" praying that I'd be one of that cool super hero kids. Funny, you think? Back then, it wasn't....but now I'm so humiliated telling this to all of  you. At least I get to complete my first "Misa de Gallo."

Another movie that strike me as a teenager was "Now and Then." My best friend and I even tried to do the famous 'coke float'. And yes, we weren't aware that it is called an ice cream soda and is widely popular on the other side of the world. Such an ignorant me back then .... and STILL AM! That's the best thing about childhood. Everything you see and hear and feel is new, everything seems wonderful and good and perfect. The movie soundtrack was also awesome! My best friend and I were like listening to 'Knock Three Times'; 'Sugar, Sugar' for forever. And also, 'As I Lay Me Down'  by Sophie B. Hawkins was just perfect!

Movies made by Viva Films will always hold a special place in my heart and someday (if I'd ever get to download online) in my portable external hard drive. Movies such as 'Campus Girls' and 'DoReMi' (I'm mushy and cheesy and I like it!) will always bring back sweet memories of my high school days in Makati.

I'm a super huge fan of Julia Roberts romantic flicks! (as in!) Whenever I feel sad or just trying to be myself, I always end up watching 'Pretty Woman' and 'Notting Hill.' Thinking of it makes me want to watch it again....later. Can't help it! No matter how hard we try, there will always be that tiny little thought bubbles that will always pop out of our minds hoping that someday, somehow we'd be able to experience a certain love story like that. And that my friend, is the hopeless romantic in me.

Will I ever get to watch another movie as brilliant as 'Forrest Gump' and our very own 'Oro Plata Mata?' How long would 'Shake, Rattle and Roll' film series play a significant part of Filipino horror flick? When will I ever get to watch quality Pinoy action flick? Will the young generations of today be able to appreciate movies such as 'Jologs' and 'The Breakfast Club?' I have so many questions.....damn!
                               
One thing is for sure, I'll definitely write a part two (or even a part three!) of this. Audrey Hepburn once quoted 'Everything I learned I learned from the movies'. I guess she's right!

Til then!

3 comments:

  1. Reading your entry made me want to go back to my "happy ever after years". :)

    I will never get tired to watch Julia Roberts' films. I am a sucker for romance back then..... well until now. hehe

    Who can forget Free Willy? Home Alone? Little Giants? Magic Temple? TGIS the Movie? Casper? Pocahontas? And the list will go on.

    Just thinking of these films leaves me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, Blissful Reverie. The soundtrack is also far better. Casper's 'Remember me this way' brought me to tears.

      Delete
  2. Aw! Casper will always be my first love. Ang landi lang. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete