Wednesday, February 19, 2014

In the beginning....

Scale, go up, mount, ascend, clamber, scramble and rise. Those are the words synonymous (given by Word) to what I love to do – CLIMB! Somehow that sums it up... but not all of it.

My first experience with climbing mountains goes all the way back to the summer vacation in my mother’s hometown in Bohol. I, my youngest brother and mom were scrambling the sharp assault to visit my grandparent’s tomb. I remember firming my small feet to the loosed ground soil while my free hand is busy grabbing tree branches and the other one holding the makeshift trekking pole.

I do not remember how long it took us to get there or if I had injured myself along the way. What I do remember is that I feel elated and happy and content at that very moment. Walking with my mom, my brother and a relative (can’t remember my relation to her, though) that served as our guide.

Mom was talking to her non-stop. They were reminiscing the past. They were exchanging news and stories. They were laughing and giggling and I hadn’t seen my mom that blissful. I was smiling.... I was smiling because, the fact is that, I don’t understand what they’re talking about (they’re speaking in Visayan language). She looked years younger at that instant. They’re talking as if decades had not passed.  Too bad, camera was a luxury for us back then.

Families and friends often asked me why I find climbing so interesting. I stop and recollect all the memories I had with nature way up there and it made me.... smile. The excitement, the exhaustion, the assault and steep trails, the plateau, the old trees, the wilderness, the muddy terrains, the parasites (limatik), the floras and faunas, the unfamiliar happy faces of locals, the brewed coffee, the quick bath, the sometimes not-so-sturdy shoes, the revolting heavy bags, the weirdest rashes and bruises, the unrelenting winds, the scorching heat, the sweat and rain combined, the crisp sounds of chirping birds, the proud boulders, the unnerving cold nights, the hikers you meet along the way, the exchange of laughter, the socials, the tons of photo opt, the sea of clouds, the sunrise and sunset, the stillness and serenity, the reward dinner , the tired feet and victorious smug! I guess they’ll never know....I'm hoping they would – one day.

There are probably thousands of mountains in the world but as a good friend of mine once said “Akyat habang may bundok” (climb while there’s still mountains). With that in mind, I will continue to climb and never falter.
photo credits to Ken Mauleon

All it takes is a little courage, a slight push and off you go.


Till then.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All it takes is a little courage, a slight push and off you go.

    and a destination... without a goal it's like an empty wandering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We climb because we are enlightened. To more mountains! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. We climb and climb and at the top we fly. Let the world go on below us, we are lost in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to more mountains! and always, always be safe!

    ReplyDelete