Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mt. Talomo and Mt. Apo - The Year-end climb (Day 5)

Day 5 marks the last day of my Megatraverse. A day I'd surely remember because of the mixed emotions it has enormously given me.

I woke up at around 6am but since the rain hasn't decided to stop, I quietly moved inside the tent to fix some of my things while I let King sleep for another half an hour. The night that passed was a good one. It was not too cold that when I laid to sleep last night, I instantly shut off to oblivion.

By 6:30 am, I tapped King to wake up so we could start early. I decided to prepare our breakfast inside the tent (not advisable, though). As much as possible, I'm delaying my another encounter with rain. Can you blame me? I've been soaking wet the entire time.

After packing all our stuff (including trash), we started our journey down Kidapawan trail. Yep, still raining.

To our surprise, we've met another 2 climbers who are busy putting orange tie markings. My climb buddy asked if there is a bridge waiting for us down Agco river. Luckily, there is!  After a quick chit chat, we bade goodbye and continued with the trek.

We arrived at a campsite after an hour and a half of nonstop descent. We continued walking until a stream emerged. Thank God for makeshift bridges, otherwise it will be us against that rapid.
Haopy faces after reaching the campsite. Almost done.
These type of tree marks that you're almost done.
Hello....stream. Be good.
Baby steps...
I was so relieved right after passing the stream. The rumbling sound of the water was threatening for someone like me who doesn't know how to swim.

We followed the freshly tied orange markings until another nightmare (for me) came. Just when I thought it was over, came this much bigger rapids. Way bigger, I must say.
Yep. That's the bridge.
Still managed to have a picture with Agco river.
Good thing, the bridge were sturdy enough to hold such strong current.

At first, I thought that we will only be crossing the river once.... I was wrong. After that came series of river crossings, two of which has no assistance of a bridge. Yep... Just me, my heavy bag and sheer plain luck against the monster rapids! Just the thought of it while blogging still gives me goosebumps.

It took us more than an hour until we've reached a chayote (sayote) vegetation which means that 'civilization' was near. With just the sight of it, I felt hungry.
It's civilization, baby!
My boredom and hunger grew overtime as we continued walking until we've reached the last bridge that will lead us to Barangay Ilomavis.
Bridge to Brgy. Ilomavis
Shortly after crossing the bridge, we've met a local guy to whom I've asked the nearest store. I was hungry and all I can think about is eating. Did I forget to mention that I was teary-eyed upon the first sight of a non hiker local? It was overwhelming.

The last part of the trail at Brgy. Ilomavis is steep and muddy (at that time). I was also suprised to see steams nearby. Ilomavis is known for their hot springs, by the way.
Coffee, anyone?
Dry me up....steam some more!
 
Right after taking some pictures with the steam vents, a smile formed from my face. The cemented road was smiling back at me! Woohoo!!!!
Hello there, road!
Finally!
I was giggling uncontrollably upon the sight of cemented pavement. Every inch of me was celebrating. Finally, we're done!
Post climb lunch with King.
Thank you, feet. Thank you, Sal!
Upon reaching the first store in sight, I quickly ordered coke and a box of cigarette... I'm bad, I know. Cut me some slack! Sent a text message to my brother as well informing him that I'm tired but safe.

Below the detailed Day 5 itinerary of my climb.

DAY 5
0630 wake up call
0700 prepare breakfast
0730 breakfast. Break camp.
0900 start trek
1030 ETA campsite
1100 ETA Agco River
1215 ETA last bridge crossing to Brgy. Ilomavis
1240 ETA jumpoff Brgy. Ilomavis. Rest.
1300 lunch at nearby store.
1330 wash up at resort (25 pesos). Pay exit fee (300 pesos).
1530 travel to Kidapawan terminal via habal-habal. 250 per ride (max of 4)
1615 ETA Kidapawan bus/van terminal.
1720 ETD Kidapawan to Davao. Van fee 150/each.
2000 ETA Davao.

Special thanks to Joshua Pichon for the assistance, my guides (Willy and Jersson) and King.

Note: There is an exit fee in Kidapawan trail. Initial fee charged to us was 500/each.

To Mama Mary and my guardian angel, thank you for keeping me safe.

To the big guy up there, Papa God...thank you.

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment