Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mt. Talomo and Mt. Apo - The Year-end climb (Day 1)

It was less than 2 months ago since my last blog entry....and today I give you my year-end climb. This by far, in my 1 year of climbing was my most wettest, muddiest, bloodiest and longest climb!

I ditched my original plan to do a Bakun trilogy when I got a seat sale ticket to Davao. This is it!
the view!
Arriving on a clear-weathered Davao the day after Christmas made a positive impact on my tingly feet. After meeting with good friends (also members of Sandawa Apo Mountaineering and Ecology Club), Sir Joshua Pichon and Sir King Ladores, we headed straight to Barangay Tamayong in Calinan.
My friends Joshua (gray shirt) and King (blue shirt)  with Datu Sicao (wearing cap) and Willy

Talomo jumpoff at Tamayong Purok 6
We arrived around 8 in the morning and met with Datu Sicao together with Willy (our guide). Final instructions and reminders were given by Sir Joshua before hitting back Davao city proper. We started trek after that and arrived at Sicao Village 30-40 minutes later. I must say that walking up the village is a nice way to pump your sleepy muscles and warm up your heart for the steeper trails of Mt. Talomo. After paying the registration fee and offering a simple prayer, we started our trek.
the blogger at Sicao Village
Talomo trail starts with a sweet moderate uphill grassland for at least 10-15 minutes then after that comes the forest line. Patches of moss are evident as well as the cold weather that shifted right after we reached the village.
start trek!
King (climb buddy) and Willy (guide)
We've met with 2 other climbers from General Santos together with their guide after an hour of trekking. I felt somehow relieved that I'll have company other than my guide and climb buddy but all that came flushing down the drain upon learning that they'll only be doing Talomo summit then back trail the next morning. After almost 2 hours of walking, hopping on fallen trees, grasping on reclined branches and gliding our way to a much decent plateau came the descent that would lead us to Utan River. Time check, 11;23 am.
Utan River
As expected, the water was cold. Temperature at that time drops to 19 degrees and the mere sight of raindrops in my rain jacket signals a very wet trail ahead. We left ten minutes past 12 after we've finished cleaning our food containers and as suspected, it's gonna be one hell of a hike to summit!
along the trail
We reached Camp 3 by 1;33 pm. Took more than 20 minutes of rest then push our way again to summit. It was freezing cold as the strong wind blows on the left side of the mountain. We hid from trees to trees every chance we got to avoid the punishing cold winds topped with moderate rainfall. A glimpse of smile passed through me as I looked up and see the mossy trees...we're nearing Lumot Camp...we're nearing campsite! By 3:30, Lumot (Moss) Camp emerged. It was magical.

I pulled out my camera again dismissing the fact that the then heavy rainfall might damage my beloved lens. Wouldn't you do the same thing if all you can see around is this?
Amazing, isn't it?
tried an app and -- viola!
My jacket was dripping wet, Willy (our guide) was trembling and so was King (my climb buddy) when we reached Mt. Talomo's summit. The two started finding the perfect spot to pitch our tents while I was busy checking this. By the way, it's the only decent picture I have of Mt. Apo.
Apo and me......... ;)
Right after I had my fill, I hurriedly helped my team set up the camp and quickly slide inside my tent to warm myself. The two did the same and nothing else mattered.
Day 1 - Talomo

Wait...coffee ...coffee matters ;)

Below itinerary based on my personal account:

Day 1
0545 Arrival at Davao Airport
0600 ETD airport to Tamayong
0817 Walk to Sicao Village
0900 ETA Sicao Village. Pay registration fee (P 200 / pax)
0935 Start trek
1123 ETA Utan River. Lunch
1210 Resume trek
1333 ETA Camp 3. Rest.
1400 Resume trek
1530 ETA Lumot Camp
1554 ETA Talomo summit. Pitch tent.
1700 Early dinner
1900 Lights off

Watch out for Day2.

Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment