Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Lucky 13: Mt. Damas (damn!)

13 don’t seem very lucky. Add it up with the scorching heat of Mt. Damas and I’m damned. I told myself time and time that this is but another climb. Little did I know that this will push me to my limits!

Right after going to a post graduation celebration in Pedro Gil, I hurried myself to 5 Star bus terminal in Cubao to make it on time. Tick tock! Luckily, I arrived 6 minutes past under the wire. Whew! I was literally running with a heavy 2-day pack on my back!

I’ve finally met Gilda and seven other climbers who will brave the blazing sun of Mt. Damas in San Clemente, Tarlac. From what I’ve read, the trail is considered moderate to hard but with the difficulty rating of 6/9, one should not underestimate this mountain towering 685 MASL.

The terminal was super crowded and the heat is unbearable. Adding up to our misery was the 20-minute waiting time (which seemed forever to me) for our bus to arrive and it’s not even an air conditioned one!

By 2320, our journey to Camiling began. Around 0300, we arrived at Camiling Public Market where we are to meet our event host, Ka Gerald and two more climbers. We waited until 0400 before we grab a quick breakfast right across an eatery (Eat to Go Eatery). Right after breakfast, we finalized distribution of load for our 2-day itinerary. What came as a surprised and a blessing was the jeepney waiting beside 7-11. After bargaining with the driver for a 600-peso one way trip, we found ourselves at Papaac jump off 45 minutes later.

We started the trek while the sun was still pretty much forgiving. Nevertheless, you can still feel that summer was just around the corner. With that in mind, I started a quick pace. By 0820, we reached the start of river trekking. This for me is the most fun part of the trail! With all the river boulder stones of different forms I can’t help but leap, hop and skip my way on to the next one. Around 1000, we were welcomed by the calming beauty of Si-el Falls. Its intriguing form resemble what looked like a reverse ‘S’. Of course we have to continue all the way up to greet the soaring splendour of Ubod Falls. After 20 more minutes came the magnificence of Ubod Falls. I was stunned upon seeing it. We were stunned! All I can think of at that time was jump and fill myself with lots of cool water. I needed that to prepare myself for the steep ascent to summit.
the group while river trekking
Si-el Falls
group pic at Ubod Falls (credits to Ka Gerald Ternola)
Everyone took a quick dip and agreed to have our lunch beside the falls. Without a prelude, I fell asleep. Tired, invigorated and entranced from the sound of splashing water from the falls, accumulated to the group’s mini siesta.

Time check – 1330, we overslept. It’s a good thing because the sun was too much to take. With a heavy heart, we left the falls and continue with the dreaded assault to summit. 20 minutes to summit was a total despair. The grass and bamboos are burned making it harder to find the trail and even harder to breathe. Good thing Mang Jose had his ‘gulok’ with him paving our way to summit. Our rest totalled to almost an hour and by the time we reached the summit, our clothes are all dry.
me at Mt. Damas summit!
with my climbing buddies at the summit
While the sun is still up, we started pitching tent and prepare dinner by 1800. With little wind to lull us to sleep, I opted not to put my tent’s fly sheet to accommodate more air. We did not perform any socials that night due to exhaustion and by 2300, we announced lights out.

Wakeup call came early but my body is too worn-out to even move. It was 0600 when we heard clanking of cook set; it’s time to prepare breakfast.  After the energy-boosting meal and a modest photo opt, breaking camp came next. We commenced our back trail descent (it was a unanimous decision, by the way) by 0900. With the heat building up quickly, so was our pace. By 1000, we reached the river and after pulling away my backpack, I thrust myself to the inviting cold river. It was an Oasis!

The group decided to stay again for lunch at Ubod Falls and continue trekking by 1315. I pushed myself and made it to Papaac jump out by 1500. The sense of achievement was written all over our tired face. We made it!

Waiting at the jump off was our rented jeep. We left Barangay Papaac by 1700 and arrived at Camiling Public Market by 1800. After a 30-minute dinner to a nearby carinderia, we travel to Siesta by jeep. It was chaos down there given that it’s Sunday and all the commuters going back to Manila became our biggest competition.

Fortunately, a van stopped right in front of us and offered a ride back to Manila for 200 pesos. Who are we to argue with the price?! As the saying goes, beggars can’t be choosers and I believe that it’s a decent price. Thank God! By 2300, I was home, safe and sound.


Till then!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Rada. Good job! Love your photo at the summit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, gurl! it was truly an endurance test! would love to go back there and savour the moment at Ubod Falls.

    ReplyDelete